Wednesday, October 28, 2009

One of life's questions....to me

There are a lot of things in the world that I do not understand. Specifically, scientific things and design issues. For instance, why did Apple put their video camera on the nano on the bottom of the device where we have grown accustomed to holding it because the cameras on all their other devices are on the top? Why have we not developed a washer/dryer that has a sensor to let you know if you’ve left someone in it to avoid that rogue wet sock or, even worse, dry sock left in the college dorm dryer never to be seen again?

Then, there are things that work and I have no idea why or how they work. I recently discovered how my toilet functions because the chain kept coming off through a series of events I will not detail I deemed it necessary to stare at my toilet do it’s work for roughly 15 minutes. I have googled “hybrid engine” on multiple occasions with multiple people and still could not tell you how the battery part recharges without being plugged in and why the engine doesn’t have to work twice as hard. On a far more simplistic level, I’d like to talk to you about pens.

I love pens. I love all different kinds of pens and can spend hours browsing the pen and pencil isle at staples, target, office depot or ralphs. Through all of my schooling, and before everyone brought laptops to class, I came to find that I prefer clicky pens. I lose caps, don’t know where to put the cap when I’m using the pen and generally just don’t enjoy them. Clicky pens allow me to write and stop writing with just a click instead of having to remove and/or replace a cap They also give me something to occupy myself (and annoy those around me) when I am fidgety. Now here come’s my question, why don’t clicky pens dry out more rapidly than capped ones?

Stick with me here, when you leave a pen (sharpie, marker, ball point, what have you) uncapped for long enough it dries out and cannot be resurrected. Look at a clickly pen. The top is not secure. The tip isn’t directly exposed to air, but it is centimeters away from it…so…what gives? They make clicky Sharpies too and while I have never experimented with how long they last I would venture a guess that they wouldn’t make them if their quality was significantly inferior to the capped ones.
Maybe capped pens do last longer but I’ve just never used a single pen long enough to notice a difference? I don’t think so. I’m staring at my clicky highlighters now too and am even more perplexed.

HOW DO THEY DO IT????

1 comment:

whitney g said...

good question... the one thing that has kept me going through law school is my rainbow set of clicky sharpie highlighters. they are the best things ever and have lasted waaaay longer than i thought they would, being exposed to the air and whatnot. -whit