Thursday, December 03, 2009

24

So, my 24 birthday was last week. Sorry if you thought I was going all Jack Bauer this post. 24. Very round number. Divisible by 1,2,3,4,6,8,12 & 24. Pretty solid, don't you think? I have already decided that it is going to be a great year, which hopefully hasn't jinxed me already. As I reflect, things have certainly changed in the past year. It was brought to my attention that my birthday coincides nicely with the actual new year, except my birthday being a month before gives me time to formulate new goals for the calendar new year. So, a few reflections on the past year followed by tracking my goals from last year.


1. Roommate and I have shifted from being able to finish each other's sentences to actually just saying the same things at the same time aka reading each other's minds. Next year at this time we will probably be wearing the same thing without having to coordinate. Also, we have a full living room as opposed to my birthday party last year when we had...a card table and 2 chairs.

2. I cannot drink nearly as much as I once could. I am typically in bed by 10:30. I actually do school work in advance (except for the final I'm not writing right now). I need pep talks and/or a serious occasion to go out. If that doesn't scream post-college depression/adulthood to you I don't know what does.

3. I wear real shoes 3 days a week and bought my first pair of casual pants that aren't jeans. My feet smell.

Now, what about my resolutions from last year? How did I do? Well, my only one is one that I have previously discussed. "Share your head before you share your bed."

...about that. I mean, I give myself like...a B. We won't go into numbers, percentages or personal details but let's just say this is an ongoing development and while I have shown SIGNIFICANT progress it's still not something I'd brag to Patty Stanger about. Speaking of whom...she and Steve Ward (see VH1's Tough Love 2) should really team up for the Olympic event of dating shows. I'd find a way to get myself on there, fake Daddy issues and all.

So, for next year, I have established a few things I'd like to see happen.
1. Have a real job. WHOA DREAM BIG. If one more adult tells me how bad the economy is but that it should be fine by the time I graduate I will punch them. You think I don't know these things? I know these things. It's like when you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and someone in the car says "wow, traffic is so bad." WAIT, REALLY!?!? When I tell people I'm done in May they might as well just say "that sucks."

2. Have a better answer than "uhhhhm-uuuh, I dunno" when people ask me what I'd like to do with my masters. The whole "oh you're young and you have time" thing is slowly becoming "get your life together..."

3. Share your head before you share your bed. Like I said, vast improvements. Perhaps operationalizing "share your head" more clearly would help?

4. Wear something other than black dress pants to work. 1 pair. 3 days a week. Rotating tops. Unacceptable.

So...there are my 24 year old thoughts. Not so different from my 23 year old thoughts. Not so big of a surprise there. Get to thinking about your new years resolutions so you can then formulate more creative ways to break them than you did last year!

No comments: